ICIS – Procter Street
ICIS, a market-leading energy reporting service, is looking for an experienced senior energy markets reporter for its growing energy reporting team. Energy markets have become increasingly volatile and a quick-minded candidate is required to cover key European markets and news beats. The position is based in Central London.
The role of senior market reporter is to assess key market prices according to ICIS methodologies, write supporting commentaries for these assessments and produce news and other content to deadline. S/he is responsible for data entry and filing of copy and adherence to all compliance requirements.
S/he attends and speaks at conferences and industry events, meets clients/contacts with a view to growing his/her industry knowledge and expertise and contact base.
S/he is expected to help mentor junior staff and contribute to training and development initiatives. S/he contributes to the development and maintenance of training documentation. S/he contributes ideas for the development or expansion of ICIS coverage.
Accurate assessment of market prices, ability to cover mixture of markets and commodities
• Gather market information by telephone, electronic communications and internet
• Generate accurate assessments for European market prices through polling of a broad section of industry sources
• Ensure price assessments conform to ICIS methodologies
• Keep proper records of communication with sources in compliance with record retention policies
• Sub-edit copy and check assessments produced by colleagues
Produce quality news consistently for own beat
• Contribute to the news planning process daily, mentor new starters to demonstrate good practice
• Produce regular on –and off-diary news stories on news beats to deadline
• Produce regular analysis pieces and generate ideas across the team
• Identify, attend and cover relevant conferences
Grow industry knowledge, profile and contact base
• Identify, maintain and grow contact lists for own markets and news beats in line with policies
• Gain clear understanding of market fundamentals and price drivers
• Be able to provide feedback to editor on possible additions to market coverage – new pricing opportunities, market-relevant data becoming available, etc.
Key Skills Required:
• Demonstrable experience of news reporting and quantitative analysis
• Strong command of written and spoken English
• Strong numerical accuracy
• Demonstrable experience of energy markets, economics and environmental issues preferred
• Proven interest in regulatory and policy issues
• Familiarity with the EU energy wholesale market
• Excellent communication and people skills
• Intellectual curiosity
• Able to work under pressure in a fast-paced deadline-driven environment
• Good working knowledge of Excel
• Strong presentation skills, public speaking experience – desirable
Reed Business Information brings market leading brands to an audience of millions of decision makers worldwide through its multi-platform media of data services, online lead generation services, community websites, magazines and events. Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Reed Elsevier is a world leading provider of professional information solutions in the Science, Medical, Legal and Risk and Business sectors.
ICIS offers a leading energy pricing service, covering wholesale energy markets across the world through a dedicated editorial team, with bureaus in the UK, Germany, the US, China, Singapore and elsewhere. Our price reporters cover the energy complex (natural gas, oil, power, carbon, coal, LNG, renewable sources) for our customers who are experts in the wholesale energy sector, ranging from traders to regulators to company executives.
RBI General Benefits Package:
• Competitive Salaries
• Group Pension Scheme
• 29 Days Holiday
• Paid Charity Days – 2 days per year
• Save As You Earn Share Scheme (SAYE)